Thursday, June 3, 2010

Good Morning, Starshine

Among all of the activities I have ever done or currently do, snorkeling is right up toward the top of the list of things that make me happiest. When I'm doing it, I'm in constant awe of the spectacular world of amazing creatures with which I'm getting the chance to be up close and personal. I generally avoid doing anything to disturb the wildlife, but when I came across a field of what seemed like hundreds of starfish, well, I couldn't help myself.




There were, if not hundreds, then dozens and dozens of them, in all sizes and varying colors. When I come across something like that, it's like I'm witnessing a miracle. I know that sounds kind of stupid (or really stupid), but it's just that it's not something a person like me sees very often, or ever, and it makes me realize how enormous the world is, and how lucky I am to be in it.

I did feel a bit bad by the fact that the starfish I picked up lost a few suckers in the process of my handling them, but I was comforted knowing that I released them right back where I found them, so they were really no worse for the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment